Our Redeemer Lutheran Church was organized as a mission of the English District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, on September 2, 1937. Founded by the Rev. Adolph Meyer, the congregation began with thirteen communicant members. The first church building, located at the corner of Central Avenue and Johns Road, was dedicated on May 15, 1938.
This church and the sanctuary are shown above.
By 1959, the congregation had out-grown its facilities and decided to re-locate. The church at our present location was built and dedicated on December 4, 1960.
Due to continuing growth in membership and programs, a new wing was added in 1982. In 1997, the congregation once again began to plan for an expansion of their facilities - especially in the areas of fellowship, classrooms and Fine Arts Ministries space. The Educational Wing and Fellowship Hall addition was dedicated on January 14, 2001.
Located in the lower level of the new building are 8 new classrooms for children 2 years to high school along with two larger classrooms for Adult classes and a Sunday school office, all of which have provided ORLC with much needed educational space. The upper level of the new building is where our new Fellowship Hall is located. The Fellowship also has a full retractable stage with lighting and sound equipment. The Fellowship Hall can comfortably seat 250 guests for dinners when the stage is closed yet accommodate 200 when the stage is in use. Over the years, the congregation has had many special dinners and programs in this new facility. Our facility also has a state of the art commercial kitchen, a special thank you to LWML of Our Redeemer for the constant additions over the years.
In the fall of 2008, we enhanced our sound system and added two projectors and screens to the Fellowship Hall in preparation for a Contemporary Worship Service and larger educational events. Also in 2010, a major renovation of front entrance area and the connecting space between all prior expansions. The new open plan space is now called the Church Lobby and allows space for conversations and periodic displays.
The local community has also benefited from the addition of the Educational Wing and Fellowship Hall. The local Rotary Club meets weekly at Our Redeemer. The Augusta Players have held several performances on our stage and the Westminister Schools have just recently completed their AP testing.
As a congregation, we continue to look back to the blessings of the past, make the best use of our abilities to meet the challenges of the present, and plan for the future. The Church council continues to look beyond the present to where we, as a congregation, need to be going.
Our Redeemer's history is a history of growth by God's grace. We look forward to his continued blessings as we share his love and grace, his Word and Sacraments, His peace and joy with one another and with the community around us!